A kitchen island is a great way to make your kitchen more functional. Not only does it help alleviate the need to constantly walk back and forth from the stove to the table, but it also gives you a place for storage, workspace, food preparation and more. But now that you think about it, why do you have to build an island? You might be able to use what you already have!
How to make a kitchen island out of base cabinets. You might not know this, but base cabinets can make a really nice kitchen island. Here are some of the benefits of using base cabinets as an island.
What is a Kitchen Island?
A kitchen island is a piece of furniture that serves as a functional workspace and food preparation area. It’s an extension of your kitchen, typically located in the center of the room, and it gives you extra workspace and storage.
Building an Island from Base Cabinets
- Space-saving: Base cabinets are typically at the end of your kitchen. This means they’re not taking up much space, unlike other islands that can take up valuable space along the walls or in the middle of your kitchen.
- Versatile: You won’t be limited to what you can do with a base cabinet island. You can use it for storage, as a workspace, or even a breakfast bar. It’s more versatile than other islands because you don’t have any restrictions on what it can do.
- Customizable: The base cabinets might not match perfectly with your kitchen, but that doesn’t mean you need to buy new ones! With a little paint and some time, you’ll be able to make them match seamlessly with your other cabinetry.
- Inexpensive: Let’s face it – we would all love an expensive island. But sometimes those budgets just don’t stretch far enough. If you want an island without breaking the bank, using base cabinets is a great option!
Benefits of using Base Cabinets as an Island
- One of the most obvious benefits is that you can use what you already have. No need to spend money on a new kitchen island when you could just build one out of the cabinets that are in your kitchen.
- Most base cabinets are sturdy and well built, so they’ll do a good job at holding up a large amount of weight.
- No need to worry about how your base cabinet island will look because it’s already in your kitchen!
- They’re typically close to a work surface so you can easily reach everything that you need for cooking or food preparation.
Designing Your Kitchen Island
When designing your kitchen island, you’ll need to decide if you want the island to be open or closed. An open design will allow for more workspace and storage. However, it might not work well with smaller kitchens. For those who have the space, it’s a great option. A closed island could offer more storage space inside the base cabinets without sacrificing any workspace on top of them.
What else should you think about when designing your kitchen island? You’ll need to consider how much countertop space is available in your kitchen and what kinds of things you plan on storing inside your base cabinets. If you’re looking for some extra counter space, this is something to keep in mind. If you plan on storing large items like pots and pans, then make sure there will be enough room for that as well!
Join the Cabinets
The first thing you need to do is measure your base cabinets and figure out where they would fit best. You want to make sure they are all in the same line, otherwise, it could be hard to join them together.
Next, you can screw the cabinets together right through the back of each door. Cut a hole on either side of each cabinet that’s big enough to get a drill and saw through.
Install the Floor Cleats
The first thing you’ll want to do is to install the floor cleats. Base cabinets are notoriously heavy, so it’s important that your surface is secure before installing the cabinet on top of it.
Set the Island Base Cabinets With Granite
One of the most popular kitchen designs today is an island. It creates a great workspace, offers more storage space, and can make your kitchen feel larger. But if you don’t already have an island it might not be as easy to add one to your kitchen. If you have base cabinets in your kitchen you might be able to use them as an island!
You’ll just need to remove the doors on the cabinet and set them up on your countertop. Then you can add granite or quartz for a really nice look! You’ll need to make sure that you adjust the height of the cabinets so they are level with the countertop. And if you want, you can set a stove below the cabinets for more workspace. The best part about this is that it doesn’t cost any money since all you need is what you already have!
Prepare the Countertop
Your base cabinets are going to be the new kitchen island, so you’ll need to prepare your countertop. You can do this by removing the hinges from one of the doors and then flipping it over. Next, you’ll want to lay on top of that door a sheet of plywood or MDF to get a sturdy surface for your island.
Thanks to the clever imagination of designers around the world, the kitchen island has become much more than a workspace. Today, it has become a focal point in kitchens everywhere. And while it may seem intimidating, you don’t need to be a contractor to make your own kitchen island. You can easily transform base cabinets into an island with a little creativity and know-how.
Kitchen islands are a must-have for any kitchen these days. They can be used as an extra work area or as the centerpiece of your kitchen. Building your own island is not only a fun project but also a way to customize your kitchen. Smart Life Idea